BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, November 22, 2009

So There




Greetings my little blog-stalking minions.

I realize it's been a little bit since I made my last entry, I do apologize.
Well I will explain- I'm a student at a certain California State University... if you could call it a University... more like a massive group of overaged learned people who graduated in the 1960's scrambling desperately to prepare the current generation for the modern work force of drones...

Anyhow, I happen to be a student of Graphic Design, not that I am at all prepared for the design world with our program's crew of elderly administrators who cannot operate simple applications such as e-mail or the internet (GASP!). Seeing this utter failure of modern education and being far too focused on the idea that better classes and knowledge would come along in the later parts of the program (fyi, better classes and knowledge HAVE YET to come along...) I was far too blind to see that the Graphic Design program at my school is utterly outdated. We have to go through numerous POINTLESS prerequisites in order to be eligible for later classes which are not entirely helpful to our future carreers only to take part in the public humiliation named Portfolio Review. In this ghastly class we take pieces that we have produced from previous classes to create a ten-piece portfolio to be judged by a panel of 25 ill tempered, grouchy, and picky design enthusiasts who, in my personal opinion, mostly don't know shit. (though some are exquisite designers... most are power crazed critical bastards looking for their next control seizing oportunity).
As is required to continue in the program (as it is FAR too late for me to switch majors) I am taking part in this idiocratic process of tedious presentation.
For most students, the pieces that are produced in previous prerequisite classes are rarely up to "Portfolio Parr". I was no exception.
SO, my point is that I have been busy busting ass making new pieces to show during portfolio review.

My status?
2 Photographs- check
2 Digital Design Pieces- check
2 Color Pieces- (half check)
2 Drawings- (half check)
Thumbnails- check
painfully pointless 10th Piece- ... hmmm about that

I am currently home on Thanksgiving break, frantic with stress and anticipation, with the fear that my over-achieving ass won't make my deadline and will fail this entirely hypocritical class.
So, I shall paint, draw, and assemble my way to within an inch of my sanity, because I am not a quitter...

well I'm only a quitter at things like dieting and vigorous exercise.

BUT- I will not accept Portfolio defeat, and I WILL AT LEAST show a completed portfolio which I am not [too] ashamed of.




so there.

0 comments: